Friday, May 15, 2009

The past three days and a little bit of the future

Wednesday:


Normal day.  However, we went to an early dinner and then met with some people.  We didn't get home from that until 2130ish (9:30PM).  I went to bed with the intention of waking up and going to the gym in the morning...


Thursday:


Alarm went off... I stayed in bed.  What can I say, Im lazy.  I skipped breakfast and had a protein shake, and while everyone else went to breakfast I payed some bills and other stuff like that.  For work, I went to help the people that I met the night before, I was there to answer some of their questions and teach them a little more about what we do and the processes that everything needs to go through (kind of vague, but get used to it).  After working with them, I went to the gym, came back and had a protein shake.  It was about 1730 at this time, and I was told that we were leaving at 1850.  So I was going to shower, and go get dinner around 1800.  While I was finishing up my shake, I saw some of the people that I work with, and they told me that we were leaving at 1745 now.  So I finished my shake, washed out my shaker and got my uniform back on (no shower).


We went over near the flight line and met a few other people there.  We then took a little trip to the Iraqi side of the base.  We were going to a malif (I don't know if I am spelling that correctly).  The way a malif was explained to me was: a gathering place where friends could come and visit and stay as long as they wanted for no charge.  We went and there were 3 sheiks there.  We were also joined by the Iraqi Special Operations Force (ISOF) First Battalion and their commander.  The 3 Sheiks were also in the ISOF 1st Battalion, but since they were Sheiks they were given special positions to run the Malif.


We had to take our shoes off before we entered the room.  We walked in (no boots, but we did have our socks on) and shook everyone's hand.  After each hand shake we were told to put our hand over our heart as a sign of respect.  We all sat on the floor, and in the Arab culture you aren't supposed to show the bottom of your feet, so we had to be careful when we sat down, and how we sat.  After we had been sitting down for a few minutes, we were asked to introduce our selves (we were speaking through an interpreter).  After the introductions, one of the servers took a bag of stuff to one of the Sheiks.  The Sheik then told us (through the interpreter, of course) that in the bag he had a bunch of prayer beads for us.  The server then came back in the room with a coffee kettle and two cups.  He would fill a cup and give it to the first person, then fill the second cup and give it to the second person.  When the first person was done (to tell the server that you were done, you were supposed to raise the cup and shake it) the server took the cup and poured a cup for the third person.  Then took the second cup and gave it to the 4th person.  So everyone drank the coffee out of those two cups... kind of gross, but whatever.  The server got to me, and I was surprised by the small amount of coffee, it was literally just a sip.  The coffee was a very dark roast, with a strong smell and a bitter flavor.  I loved it, I had 2 servings then and 2 servings later when they came through for round two!  Shortly after the coffee, the server brought a little saucer and glass of tea for everyone (we got our own glasses for this).  They were not tea cups, or mugs.  They were a little glass probably 4 or 5 ounces.  It also had a small silver spoon in it to stir it.  We were told that it was a chai tea.  It was hot and extremely sweet.  I don't like tea, but this stuff was pretty good!


This was my first time trying to have a conversation through a translator, it was kind of awkward, and I was scared at first.  I didn't want to offend them, or look like the ignorant American.  After about an hour, I got into it and started asking questions.  I asked them what they did for a living and that was when they explained that they were enlisted and commissioned in the ISOF, but since they were sheiks they were able to do the malif instead (kind of like a special duty).


After about two hours or so, the ISOF Commander got up and left, and as soon as he did all but about 5 or 10 of the ISOF soldiers got up and left also.  The soldiers that stayed were talking to other Americans in the room.  Shortly after that we all left.  As we were outside putting our boots on, two of the ISOF soldiers came up to me and taught me how to pray with the prayer beads.  That was kind of cool!


We didn't get back to our CHU (Containerized Housing Unit, where we live) until about 2230.  I am usually reading or asleep by then.  I ended up getting to bed around 2315ish.


Friday (today):


I got up at 0550 and went to the gym and worked out for about 45 minutes or so, just cardio.  I had a protein shake and showered.  We went to work and I decided to make a bench with the scrap wood that a got last week, or the week before, I don't know everyday is the same.  I made a bench out of a 2"x12"x8' and 2"x4" scraps.  After that I decided to make a little table/ottoman.  It was really hot and sunny.  I had a hat and sunglasses on to keep the sun off of my head and out of my eyes.  I'm pretty sure that I didn't get burned.


After that I went to lunch.  Then I went to take care of my re-enlistment paperwork.  I am currently scheduled to re-enlist on 30MAY09, I am going to get a pretty healthy tax-free bonus.  I am signing up for another 5 years.  I am pretty excited about it all!


Tomorrow:


There is a 5K on base starting at 0700.  Tomorrow is also my day off, so I haven't quite decided if I want to wake up early and go run.  I plan on working out, however, I wasn't really planning on getting up that early.  I also need to drop off and pick up laundry, maybe go to the PX, and relax.


That is all for now, I love and miss all of you!

No comments: