Saturday, May 16, 2009

NOT just another day

It isn't just another day...  I got a box of goodies from my wonderful wonderful wife!!

Last night after reading for a little bit, I turned off my light and started going to sleep.  After 15 or 20 minutes or so, I was woken up by my roommate opening the door.  When I realized what was going on, I saw that he had mail in his hands.  I got a package from my wife!!  It was filled with all sorts of goodies:  Men's health and Men's fitness magazine, newspaper, crossword puzzles, flavored coffee, chocolate covered coffee beans, gold fish, the rubber ball attached to a paddle game, NC flag, protein mix, gum, beef jerky, some pictures of Maddox, some of Maddox's art work, and an Anniversary card from Mary.  I was really happy to get it, and I had trouble getting back to sleep after that.


I woke up Saturday morning around 0550, got dressed, brushed my teeth, and headed over for the Asain-Pacific Heritage 5K.  There were probably between 450 and 500 people there.  The people in charge had 250 or 300 t-shirts to give out (no one knew the exact number).  So the first 250 (or 300) people to finish got t-shirts.  I finished 214th place.  I ran 25 minutes 11 seconds, I was hoping to run it under 24 minutes.  I need to train a little harder I guess.


My roommate, Nick, mentioned the Veterans Serving Veterans 10K that is coming up on the 31st of May.  He said I should run it to earn my re-enlistment bonus (I am re-enlisting the day before that).    I don't know if I want to run 6 miles...  I think 4 miles is the most that I have run at one time.  I am going to start hitting the treadmill more and running the hill.  I will see how I feel, and possibly I will run the 10K, who knows.


After the race, I picked up laundry, had a shake, shower, dropped off laundry, went to the PX, came home, made my bed, read one of the magazines that Mary sent me and then ate lunch.  I plan on making a few phone calls later today, maybe a light workout, possible movie or two, and an early bed time I think.

2 comments:

LOP said...

Sound like a great day!! You have such a wonderful wife!!

Your fav. M-I-L

Emily Cole said...

Way to go, Marshall!!! It's cool that you got a T-shirt! I think your time was great - considering It takes me about 18 minutes to do 1.4 miles! Good Job!