Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Happy Monday!

This morning I got up and ran 4 miles (from my CHU around the lake and back).  I started my run at 6AM, somehow that early in the morning I needed sunglasses and it was in the mid to upper 80s.  I ran the 4 miles in 36 minutes and 3 seconds, a hair slower than 9 minute miles.  I felt good after I ran it.  I was trying to run a 9 minute pace, and I succeeded.  When I got back to my CHU, I took my socks and shoes off and realized that I had a HUGE blood blister on my foot.  I didn't feel it forming, but I can feel it now!  My buddy, who is a medic, told me not to pop it, let it pop on its own and when it does to go see him and he will put something on it to keep it from getting infected.  He told me what he would put on it, but I don't remember what it was now.  After work I went to the gym with my roommate, Nick, and we did chest, triceps, and abs.  After that I got a shower and then went to chow, I had a stuffed pepper and pork with 2 skim milks.  It was really good.


At work we have a few clocks with thermometers on them.  Today I thought that it would be a good idea to put one outside to see how hot it was.  I set it up in the shade around 1400ish,  I checked it around 1500 and it read 108F.  THAT IS HOT!!  The heat here isn't like anything that I have ever encountered before.  When I got to Texas, people told me not to worry because it was a dry heat.  Well Texas is not a dry heat, and everyone that told me that is out of control!  It is such a dry heat here, that when you get home from the gym, your sweat filled shirt has dried.  I think that 108 is one of the hottest temperatures that I have seen (and I know it will get only hotter here).  I have been told that it gets so hot and dry that you cant tell that you are sweating, it evaporates before you notice it!!  CRAZY!!!


Tomorrow, I am planning on running the lake twice (that'll be about 6.3ish miles).  I am going to try to do it in under an hour.  I have never been a distance runner, and I don't think that I want to start.  I think a 10K might be my max... But who knows, maybe I will run this and really like it.  The 10K is on the 31st of May.


Also this evening I have been listening to Harry Chapin and that has put me in a really good mood.  I have been smiling since I hit play!  I even started re-listening to the songs.  I don't have the song on my computer, but "All my life is a circle" is a really good one and reminds me of this place because everyday is the same!


Anyways, I hope that everyone is doing well!  I love and miss all of you!

2 comments:

Carla said...

Love your updates, son! Keep it up! We thought of you when we ate our dinner tonight-- thanks for the recipe. Your Dad wikk be in Norfolk tomorrow, wish I could go with him, but gotta work. Take care, behave yourself--- you have lots and lots of people preaying for your safety!
Love you!
Mom

Carla said...

please ignore the typos in my earlier comment-- need to remember to proofread!
Mom