Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

A day to remember fallen soldiers.  I heard the history of Memorial day on the radio today.  I was going to look it up and type it all out, but my internet is moving really slow (I can't even check my e-mail).


Back home most businesses close, people have cookouts, drink a couple of beers, and have a moment of silence to remember the soldiers.  Well in Iraq it is another day in the life.  I got up, showered, went to work, typed up some stuff, briefed a Col. on what we do, and then started getting stuff together for a BBQ!


We got a grill the other day and we wanted to have a cookout tonight.  I was put in charge of getting everything together.  Besides the grill we didn't have anything else.  From the chow hall, we scored some raw veggies from the salad bar, a stack of plates, some plastic ware, ketchup, mustard, and a few bags of chips.  Then we headed to the PX.  That is where we were going to get charcoal, a spatula, paper towels, burgers, dogs, buns, cheese, more chips, and foil.  When we got there, we were highly disappointed.  They were out of burgers, dogs and buns.  We got everything else and went back to work.  My Captain said that we should check at the gas station about a mile down the road.  I went and boy was I surprised!!  They had all the normal stuff gas stations should have but in Arab brands and some weird things.  They also had beef burgers, chicken burgers, shrimp, cornish game hens, and milk cream with honey.  I wasn't too sure about that last one.  I got the chicken and beef burgers.  We still needed buns though.  So I went back to the chow hall and grabbed about two loaves of sliced bread.  After that we had everything that we needed.  While I was getting the bread, my Captain was getting the grill started.  Before we grilled, we had a little cigar social, that was relaxing.  Another guy and I grilled the burgers (the PX doesn't sell any seasonings except salt and pepper, so they were kind of bland) and grilled the veggies as well.  The only thing missing was beer, and drunk people.  Everything was delicious and the Captain asked me to start planning for the 4th of July cookout.  I think we might do an entire Pig!  We need cornhole to play also, that would be fun.


I have Tuesday off because I didn't get a day off this weekend (I tried telling my Sgt that I didn't need a day off, but what do I know).  I also found out today that the General who was supposed to do my reenlistment on Thursday, cant make it.  So it looks like my Captain will do it.  Whatever, I'm still getting the bonus!


Also today in the mail I got 5 pounds of protein mix!  I got 2.5 pounds of cookies and cream and 2.5 pounds of cakebatter.  I haven't tried the cookies and cream yet, but the cakebatter is out of this world!


That is about it.  I'm telling you, my life is pretty boring out here.

1 comment:

Emily Cole said...

Awww, Marshall - it doesn't seem that boring! I hope you had a nice time today and were able to relax. Thanks for everything you do for us back home. We love you and miss you!