Monday, October 18, 2010

Apartment

To prepare for the arrival of Mary and the kids, I started looking for an apartment for us. I was looking for something close to base, three bedroom and at least one bathtub.


I went and talked the first realtor. He worked for Century 21 realty and was named Kenny. His English was decent. We got into his minivan and he took me to a place called Wingdom. He showed me a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath on the third floor. I really liked the place, but it needed 2 more beds. He showed me a couple of other places, but none of them really stuck in my mind. Kenny dropped me off at his office while he parked the car. Kenny's boss, Tony, came over and started filling out paperwork and asking for a deposit. I told him I liked the place but I needed to talk to a few other realtors. I told him I would be back later in the day.


Next I went to Smile realty and talked to Mr. Kim. Mr. Kim said that he had a great place for me and he would take me to it. He took me to a place called Life Apartments. These apartments house a lot of Americans and are very nice, but they are very far from the base. I explained that I liked it but it was too far. Mr. Kim then took me to a house that had a second floor apartment. This place was extremely random. The kitchen was a hallway with glass doors and walls, very odd! Then he took me to another second floor apartment. It was very nice, but it only had 2 bedrooms. I told Mr. Kim I had to think about it and talk to another guy.


Then I went to Virginia realty and talked to Kenny. Kenny speaks English like an american. He said he lived in America for almost 30 years. The first place that Kenny took me was an upstairs apartment. Inside the gate was a dog that was very skiddish and quiet. The apartment wasn't too bad, but it did have roof access which is very nice. Although it was only a 2 bedroom. Next he showed me two places by an alternate gate to the base. However, that would put us farther away from everything. One of them looked just like Wingdom and when I told Kenny this, he said that his Uncle owns Wingdom and he had some places there. I told him about my other experience with the other Kenny. VA Realty Kenny told me that he could hook me up since his Uncle owned it. He showed me a 3 bedroom 2 bath that was technically on the first floor but when you walked in the door you had to go down about 10 steps. This place had a washer and a dryer and a bathtub. It was a beautiful place but it was missing a third bed. Kenny told me that he would include internet and cable in the rent. Also, he said that he would get us a microwave and a water dispenser along with 4 5-gallon jugs of water a month! Then he took me up to the roof and told me I could grill out up there if I wanted to. While we were on the roof, I saw the preschool that I want Maddox to go to. I mentioned that to Kenny and he said that he would take me there and help me get her registered. We walked in and filled out some paperwork and they said that she can start any time we want her to start. The preschool is Monday through Friday 9am-5pm and it looks like a castle (that is the name of it) finally there was a dalmatian tied up in the front of the school also.


I gave Kenny the money to hold the apartment for us and set everything else up. When Mary and the kids get here, we will be able to go straight to the apartment. All in all today was a good day!

No comments: