Monday, October 11, 2010

Air Show Weekend

This past weekend was the airshow here on base. It was pretty cool to be at an airshow in a foreign country! There were US aircraft and also ROK (Republic Of Korea) aircraft. The US had a C-130, C-17, a Blackhawk, F-16, Chinook. The ROKs had F-15's, F-16's, Helix, F-4, and some other crazy birds. I was most excited about the Helix. The Helix is a Russian helicopter that had double stacked rotors that spin in opposite directions, this means that the helo doesn't need a tail rotor. The one that they had on display was set up to put out forest fires.


Whenever the announcer said anything, a Korean came on and said the announcement again in Korean. This made for very long announcements.


My squadron's booster club had a booth selling hamburgers and hotdogs. Saturday I showed up with the intentions of wearing the squadron mascot tiger suit. It was a very hot day out and that suit does not breathe. I was in the suit for about 7 hours straight and took water breaks periodically to hydrate. However, the little kids wouldn't leave me alone long enough to get that break. Also Koreans don't have the same personal bubble that Americans have, nor do parents discipline their kids at all. So kids were real nice about giving high fives and shaking hands, but they then wouldn't leave me alone. There were times when kids were around me pulling on the tail and messing with the feet and there were no parents anywhere around. I had no clue where the parents went. For the most part everyone was friendly. During the National Anthem, a Korean wanted to take a picture with me, and didn't understand why I was standing there with my hand over my heart. She then punched me in the head, I told her to shut up and go away, but I don't think she understood that either. All in all it was a good day!


Sunday the show was still going on so I decided to ho volunteer again. Except this time I didn't want to wear the suit. I helped on the grill. It was me and two others working the grill. One person flipped burgers and dogs, one put ready burgers and dogs on buns for customers and one put raw burgers and dogs on. We had a great system going. Then public health came by and said that the two flipping burgers had to have gloves on. They weren't wearing gloves because the gloves were melting to their hands. i had gloves on because I was putting the raw meat on the grill. This conversation with public health pissed off one of the other guys so he left. He had already put in 10 or 15 hours between the two days, and he decided that was the breaking point. We recruited someone else and continued our wonderful grilling techniques. Later on, two new people showed up, a flight chief and a captain, to help out. They came to the grill and immediately changed our system. Their new system wasn't working and they wouldn't listen to me when I tried to explain this to them. As this happened I got a call from a friend saying that he was just getting to the show. So I decided that I had volunteered enough and it was time for me to call it quits as well. I went and joined my friend and got to see the final part of the show which was a search and rescue scenario.


I had Monday off from work and decided to do nothing but watch TV shows online. I started watching The Good Guys. This is an action/comedy cop show that has Tom Hanks' son in it. The show isn't too bad and I find it to be funny, so I continued watching it. Im about to watch the 9th episode.


Tuesday I was woken up around 7am by one of the other Sgts from my team. He was going around telling everyone that we didn't have to work today. I stayed up and talked to Mary and the kids on Skype. Later I went to the gym and post office. I just finished my homework for the week (minus a quiz Im going to take after episode 9). Tomorrow work shouldn't be too bad and then we are off thursday and will work Friday and the weekend.


A friend from Seoul was talking about going to Everland (an amusement park) this weekend, but Im not sure what my work schedule will bring.

No comments: