Friday, September 17, 2010

Trivia and whatnot

Thursday I decided to take the train to Itaewon, a shopping district in Seoul. A friend of Mary's, Chris, invited me to go play trivia there. It was a long and crowded 2-hour train ride. When I finally arrived, Chris met me right outside of the station. He took me to a small bar that was full of American and Canadiens. I had a delicious spicy chicken sandwich! Afterwards we went down stairs to play some trivia. There were 4 categories with 10 questions each. I only knew the answers to maybe 5 or 6 questions, but some of them were really difficult. For instance: What island received the George Cross in 1942? Im sorry the what from who??? The final category was titled 'Shit I Found on the Internet'. I don't remember any of the questions from this category, but I liked the name. Around 9:30pm or so we found out that we had lost. Since I knew that I had at least a 2-hour train ride home, I decided to go ahead and leave. The train ride was going well until the train stopped and there was a long announcement (in Korean) and then the lights turned off... I thought about it and remembered this happening when I was here last time. However, last time it happened to me I was with Korean linguists and they were able to figure out that we just had to board the next train. This time though, the train had taken an alternate exit. Instead of stopping on the main line, the train had pulled off a stop. I had to talk to a Korean that spoke very little Engrish to figure out what I had to do. I had to take a taxi to the previous stop and wait for the next train. This detour added at least half an hour to my trip and an additional 4,500 Won (roughly $5). That sucked, but when I got to the correct train station and looked around I remembered it was the station that we always had to stop at to switch trains late at night.


Work today was non eventful... I filled out some paper work and got some stuff set up. An airman asked me some career questions that I was happy to answer. It is still weird to be called Sgt, but back and Langley everyone knew me as Mac, so they very rarely used my rank. Even my Commander, Chief, and Shirt called me Mac.


When I got back to my room, I found out that one of my friends from when I was in Korea last time is TDY for the week. I think Im going to meet him for a beer later this evening.

No comments: