Monday, September 6, 2010

Travels to Korea

At the request of my Uncle Doug, I will be starting this blog back up. I guess leaving the country is the time to start it back up... right?


Mary, Maddox and Maverick dropped me off at the airport. They parked the car and went in with me. Maddox didn't want me to go and I think this was the hardest that it has been for me to leave. After I got through security and was grabbing all of my 'stuff' out of the bins the TSA lady told me I should keep my cash in my pocket. I guess they have had thefts here... who knew???


I then went to find my gate and make sure I knew where it was. Call me OCD, but I want to know where Im going before I get food. I found my gate, and then went to go get some lunch. I ordered my food and then tried to use the wireless in the airport. But the wireless didn't work in this restaurant. They did have ESPN on, so I watched college football. Good stuff, I haven't had the chance to watch too much football in the past 2 years or so... I wish I had left more stuff in my checked bags and less stuff in my carry-on. I didn't need to fly with my school bag, I could have checked it. No big deal, I made it alright with no issues.


As I boarded my first flight I heard that there were lots of open seats. This made me happy since I don't always like to sit next to people. As I walked down the aisle to my seat I noticed that some D-bag was in my seat, but the back 3 rows were open. I asked the flight attendant if I could sit in the back row, she told me that I could. I was happy to be secluded from people! After we took off, I ordered a whiskey and coke, I like whiskey, don't judge me! After I showed her my ID and asked how much it was, she told me it was free since I was military... Thank you Delta flight attendant!


Once again I had an underbooked flight. I ended up getting an aisle seat with another little dude that was going home to see his momma. The flight attendants thanked me many times for helping out with him. But he was no bother.


I got to Seattle, all of the restaurants were closed, it was 9:30, but they were all closed... jerks! I checked into my flight and went to the USO. They had wifi, food, bathrooms and showers! I took advantage of all of it! The ramen was mediocre at best and all food had to be consumed in a separate area from the couches. The bathroom was nice, and the shower was refreshing. For some reason I was only able to sleep for about half an hour or so. Then I left the USO and went through security and got a turkey sandwich. After the sandwich I went and laid down on the floor. I was able to sleep for about an hour or two. We boarded our flight and took off on our LONG journey. I slept a little and tried watching the movies on the big screen. However, the audio was messed up for the movies and there was a loud crackling sound through most of the movies so I stopped watching.


When we got to Korea, it was a huge cluster getting our luggage. But, I finally got it! I met up with my sponsor, Walter, he said that he wasn't able to get a dorm room for me but he would drop me off at the base hotel to get a room. The guy that he had driving us around was the dorm manager. I don't know why the dorm manager couldn't just get in his office real quick and get me a room, but hey what do I know?


I got a hotel room and was going to shower before meeting Walter and the dorm manager at Chili's for some lunch. I was just about to get in the shower and the power in the hotel went out... What the hell? I put my dirty clothes back on and was going to wait until after lunch to shower. Then the power came back on. After a shower, I got some good Chili's food. i came back to my room and began trying to contact people to tell them that I made it safely. After a few hours I couldn't keep my eyes open. It was only 5pm but I decided to lay down for a quick nap. I slept for 5 hours! After being awake for a few hours I laid back down around 1am. I slept until 5 or 530 Tuesday morning.

No comments: