Monday, June 29, 2009

Another week down...

Yet another week has come and gone in the wonderful world that is Iraq.  But seriously, another week down.


In my last post I mentioned that I was applying for instructor duty...  Well I applied, and later that day I was denied.  I was denied because I don't have enough time at Langley.  December is my two year mark at langley, so then I can call up the people who pick instructors and tell them that I am still interested in becoming an instructor.  Hopefully everything will work out and they will give me orders shortly after that.  Instructor duty is something that I have wanted to do since I was in tech school.  Also the San Angelo cost of living is very low, so we could buy a fairly decent house for a good price!


Work is going well, I have been writing operating procedures out to teach the new people coming in.  We got two new people a few days ago and three more are on their way.  We will have 20 people here by then, and of those 20, I have only worked with one of them before...  We have been working some long days, 14 hrs, 15 hrs, all the way up to 18 hrs.  Because of the long hours I haven't been working out.  Then a few days ago, I found out about a 10K on the 4th of July.  I am planning on running it, but I don't think I will be as fast as I was last time.  I think 3 miles is the most that I have fun since the last 10K.  I also thought about signing up for the Richmond Half Marathon in mid November.  However, I might not be home in time for that.  I did find out that I have until the 11th of NOV to sign up, so I can always wait until right before if I want.


Getting up to run before work has been difficult recently.  If I want to get a run in, I have to get up by 4am at the very latest.  And that is just waaaaaaay to early, especially when Im not sure if Im going to have to work 18 hours that day!


Mary and my Mother can both vouch for me when I say that I'm not a huge fan of vegetables.  My roommate said that I should drink V8 juice for the vegetable serving and also for the sodium that is in it.  He said because of how much we sweat here we need to take in more sodium.  So I decided to give V8 a try... it turns out that stuff is pretty damn tasty!  I am drinking between 2 and 3 of them everyday.


One last funny story: This happened on my day off last week.  My roommate's alarm went off, and his alarm is a song that I guess I was getting annoyed with.  While it was going off I sat up and started to reach to turn it off, before I could get to it, he turned it off.  As he did, in my half-asleep voice I said, "This shit has got to change."  Then I laid back in bed, rolled over and went back to sleep.  I knew nothing of this story until he told me about it when he got home from work.  I must have been sleep walking or something, I dont know.  But it was funny to relive the story.


That is all for now from this God-forsaken land.  I hope that everyone has a wonderful week.  I love you all!

No comments: