Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Moon

I dont know what it is about the moon, but I have always like looking at it.  I remember driving home from Wilmington late one night, and it almost seemed like the moon was watching me drive, it was seemed to keep up with me.  I could spend hours staring at it, not doing anything else but looking at it.  Last night it was real dusty, the moon was hardly visible.  Tonight the moon is casting shadows it is so bright.


I have always felt like the moon is common ground.  The sun warms everyone up, but the moon can actually be examined.  You can stare straight at it, and you wont go blind.  Everyone sees the moon.  It used to be when I would see a cool moon, like a real yellow one or even a reddish one, I would call people and tell them to look at the moon.  I would call people that were physically near me, to share it with them, and I would call people that were far away, just to give them a heads up that they might have a cool looking moon.


So, even though every morning you wake up in your bed, stumble to the bathroom, get ready, do what ever you have to do, drive to work, maybe pick up some drive through or coffee on the way to where ever you are going, work, go home prepare your own dinner sit on your couch, watch TV, maybe have a beer.  I am here, and when I wake up, I have to get completely dressed to even go pee, take a shower with 8 other dudes, carry a rifle with me everywhere I go, walk around in the blistering heat, sit on my bed or my broken lawn chair if I want to sit anywhere, and I have dust every where... We all still have the moon.  Now don't think that Im upset about what I am doing here, or my living conditions, I know that it could be much worse.  I am thankful to have a bed, running water 40 yards away, and internet (even if it is the slowest thing ever).  I am glad that I have those things, but looking at the moon makes me feel like I am home.

2 comments:

Emily Cole said...

We miss you too, Marshall! Anderson said this afternoon - "Look Mama, there's Mr. Moon! It's almost time for bed!" He loves the moon. I will tell him tomorrow that Uncle Marshall is looking at the same moon as the one he loves so much!

LOP said...

Sweet, Marshall- from now on, when I look at the moon, I will think about you!! In fact, I will make a point of looking for it!!