Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Leaving on a jet plane

Well probably not a jet plane, and not quite yet... but soon!


Since I signed up for this deployment (AUG 2008): I went through over 60 days of training (TDYs and training on base), Traveled to multiple different locations, made it known that I needed to deploy early to help the comm guys and now Ive been here and Im heading home soon! I have gotten coins from two different 2-Star Generals, a 1-Star General, and a Command Chief. Things that I have said and done have made their way up to the Pentagon and back. Procedures that I figured out and worked out have become the standard. I have been looked at and respected as an NCO even though Im not one (I'll test when I get home). It has been tough, I have had rank flexed on me more than once... and that is when I remembered that Im NOT and NCO. I got frustrated and wanted to quit at times, but I don't really get that option. My leadership has praised me for the work I have done and I think that I have learned a lot from being out here.


I have missed many events back home: I missed my 3rd wedding anniversary (that is 2 of 3 that I have missed for those of you counting). I missed too many birthdays to list them all, but the most important ones that I missed were Mary and Maddox's birthdays (that is 1 of 2 missed for those keeping track). I missed a trip to go see my brother, 2 weddings (one of which I was supposed to be in). AND I missed moving into the new house.


However, Im in the military. I knew what I was signing up for, and I volunteered for this deployment! I don't think that there is anything I would change about all of this. I have the love and support of 2 beautiful ladies back home and I cant wait to see them again!

3 comments:

Emily Cole said...

You're awesome, Marshall! I can't wait to see you when you get home! Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

Lots to look forward to! I know your ladies are ready to have you home, too! Safe travels :)

A Day in the Life said...

Emily, I got the drawings from your kids! I love them!! Thank you so much.